So it’s 2018… What. The. Fuck.
I’m bringing in a classic cliché here, but that has come around so fast! In a blink of an eye, a year full of memories, work and uni has come and gone, and I’m still not feeling any more ready for the big wide world. With 2018 brings dissertations, graduations, careers and houses, all things that seemed like distant thoughts last year, but are now scary realities. With each day comes new adult decisions that I am definitely not qualified to make, yet forced to out of fear for not getting my ‘shit’ together.
Now I’m not the kind of person to believe in the whole New Year New Me bullshit. If you need the date of 1st of January to change your life, then Susan, you need to check yourself. However, in saying that, I like the idea of having a bit of a refresh and look at what cards you have to play. With all the huge moments that 2018 brings for me, I have taken the opportunity to have a look at my situation and make some promises. Of course, there are the superficial ones that aren’t uncommon: become fitter, go to the gym more blah blah blah… but also some that are more meaningful to me and go a little bit deeper than just what you see in the mirror!
- Do more: there are too many times where I miss out on things that I love to do, because I feel like I need to be doing something else more important instead, but no more! I want to be happy in my choices and do things I love, not working constantly or staying in to save money.
- Write more: I love writing and I want to take the time to do it more. Whether its blog writing, playwriting or just scribbling in a note book, I want to be that person who just has a vat of writing stored in places in their bag, on their laptop and in their head! Instead of spending 20 minutes scrolling through facebook, I could be using that time to write something.
- Love more: I am such a terrible person when it comes to expressing my love for my friends and family. I am that person who won’t ever message people once I stop seeing them, purely because I forget and don’t know what to say. I want to make more of an effort to appreciate and talk to my friends, and show my love to those around me.
- Work hard: This year is probably the pinnacle moment for me in many ways and so I want to make sure I put my head down and work my butt off to get what I want. This goes for university and for careers afterwards.
- Get out more: There are so many days that I spend at home watching Youtube or Netflix because I have no reason to leave the house. I want to take advantage of where I am living and explore around me more. If that means taking my laptop to a random café for an afternoon to do uni work, then so be it, but just make sure I get out of the house.
So there you go, it’s written down and put on the big wide web so it definitely has to be official, right? 2018 as a new year is not bringing a new me, but more of an active version of myself, someone who I want to be, and am happy with.
So cliché over, let’s just hope these resolutions last more than a month like most!